Friday 26 April 2013

Le temps a disparu.....

"Recently in D&T woodwork I've been making a clock. 
Upon showing people the finished article, they have replied with "why the flies??" or words to a similar effect. So, just imagine how witty I feel when I say "Well, because time flies...!"





It now has pride of place in my living room. I can only assume it will be a viable conversation starter.
The only thing with this clock is that the ticking noise is really loud. Although still unobtrusive, it is louder than other clocks. This is seems to enforce that time really is always slipping away, and *insert more pretentious musing here*

But in all seriousness....
William Shakespeare did a Sonnet (12):


When I do count the clock that tells the time,
And see the brave day sunk in hideous night;When I behold the violet past prime,And sable curls all silver'd o'er with white;When lofty trees I see barren of leavesWhich erst from heat did canopy the herd,And summer's green all girded up in sheavesBorne on the bier with white and bristly beard,Then of thy beauty do I question make, 
That thou among the wastes of time must go,
Since sweets and beauties do themselves forsake
And die as fast as they see others grow;
And nothing 'gainst Time's 
That thou among the wastes of time must go,Since sweets and beauties do themselves forsakeAnd die as fast as they see others grow;And nothing 'gainst Time's That thou among the wastes of time must go,Since sweets and beauties do themselves forsakeAnd die as fast as they see others grow;And nothing 'gainst Time's scythe  can make defense 
Save breed, to brave him when he takes thee hence.
Save breed, to brave him when he takes thee hence.Save breed, to brave him when he takes thee hence.

Found HERE.
Wish I understood more about what it meant but it sounds pretty.
Talking about William Shakespeare, in English we are doing 'Much Ado about Nothing' which although we have just started I'm finding quite interesting, especially as it explores feminism :-).
And later this month my class is going to Stratford Upon-Avon to see where he lived, go to the museum and watch a theatre production by The Royal Shakespeare Company. We have to wake up at 5:15 or something crazy like that :-(
Maybe I'll update on that once I've gone? I've been before but I've forgotten a lot, and I think it will be more benifical when I can apply it to what I've been doing in class, opposed to just a day out! 

And now, for your enjoyment, 

                                             Le temps a disparu

      ~ French for: Time has gone.
             Relating to time but totally random in every other sense. 
Although, disparu does sound similar to despair. 
I try not to despair- that time isn't there. 

And although I take french at school, I had to use Google translate for this, so don't go leaving comments in French. Not that I get comments, anyway LOL.



*Sparkle*---
Rachel   xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment