Tuesday 9 July 2013

The Relationship Rose

'What's in a name? 

That which we call a rose

By any other name would smell as sweet'


~ Romeo and Juliet, William Shakespeare. 

(MY good old friend)









Say hello to the 'Relationship Rose!' Go on.... It won't bite!! Okay... Suit yourself.. 

At least pick a leaf. He loves me, he loves me not......



My friend just told me today that she is 'going out with somebody'. 

I dislike that terminology, but I guess that is what everyone uses.... Myself included. I was so happy when she told me *queue jumping around and squealing like a hungry pig* especially since I knew that she liked the boy for quite some time. 

This lead me to thinking... We are getting to the age where we start to think about these things and I was wondering whether a boy would ever like me that way, and more importantly whether I would reciprocate.
Books, films and the media don't help young teenage girls with this. They romanticize it, so much so that if you are not in a relationship,  you may feel unsatisfied- or even not loved or wanted. 

I don't necessarily feel like that, it's just an observation. I don't want to be in a relationship just because I don't want to be alone..... I need to be alone first, and know what that feels like, and be comfortable with myself in 'alone-status' before I could ever date. 

 I feel like I'm just finding out who I am, and fighting those pesky internal demons, and the idea of having another prominent figure in my life.... is a bit bewildering, to say the least. 
Baring in mind I would have to trust this person (not my strong point) and devote a lot of my time to him (time being the thing that I do not have a lot spare for my own). So right now I don't have time for 'A Boyfriend'.

You know those 5 years olds children who toddle around with a boy or girl, and confess their love or one another, hold hands; and might even have a wedding?

I remember being bridesmaid for one of those 'dos. 
Anyway my point is that's the only first-hand experience I've had of relationships. 

If I was to date now, I don't really have that much knowledge on the subject. I'm innocent, I guess. And naive. And that's a possible disadvantage, and I don't want to be taken advantage of. 
This reminds me of the song '15 by Taylor Swift'. Check it out HERE
One line of it goes:

'And when you're fifteen, 
And somebody tells you they love you,
You're gonna believe them.'


 But I think it'll be nice, when the time is right. 

P.S- There is no one I'm crushing on the induce this post! It's just my friend started dating and it got me thinking. :-) 

*Sparkle*---
Rachel   xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment